Your Responsibility for Health Insurance

The health care reform law requires most Americans to have health insurance as of January 1, 2014. This requirement is sometimes called the “Individual Mandate.” You can meet this requirement by getting health insurance through:

  • Toys“R”Us (if you are benefits eligible)
  • Your spouse’s/domestic partner’s employer
  • Your parent’s employer (if you are under age 26)
  • A Health Insurance Marketplace available in your state (which may also be referred to as a public exchange)
  • Other coverage options that may be available to you, including an insurance plan outside the Health Insurance Marketplace or through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.

If you do not have health insurance, you may have to pay a tax penalty based on your income and family status. This is important—for every month you are without health insurance you may have to pay this tax penalty. The total penalty amount will be collected as a single payment once a year when you file your tax return.

Examples of the calculation of the tax penalty are located in the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website. Actual penalties will vary based on each person’s circumstances. Toys“R”Us cannot provide tax advice to team members. If you have questions, talk with your tax advisor.

What Does This Mean For Me?

It’s up to you to have health insurance for yourself and any eligible dependents. The information contained on this site should be considered as guidance to help you understand the options available to you and explaining the steps you need to take so that you’re covered.  For complete information of your rights visit

As an “R”Us team member, you are eligible to enroll in an “R”Us health plan if you’re benefits-eligible. You can enroll in an “R”Us health plan when you first become eligible, within 30 days of a qualifying life event, or during Annual Enrollment in May for a July 1 effective date.

If you are not benefits-eligible, or you do not want “R”Us health coverage, you will need to get health insurance through another source. That might be your spouse’s/domestic partner’s employer, your parent’s employer (if you are under age 26), or the Health Insurance Marketplace available in your state. Depending on your situation, you might be eligible for coverage through Medicare or Medicaid. You can also buy a policy on your own, separate from the Marketplace in your state (or other state programs if available).

What Do I Need to Do?

Learn if you are benefits-eligible. In general, you are benefits eligible if you are a regular management or full-time hourly team member with 30 days of service.  If you're hourly, review the Employer Shared Responsibility section for additional benefits eligibility information.

  • If you are benefits eligible, you can continue to get health insurance through Toys”R”Us. You can enroll for the first time or make changes to your current coverage during Annual Enrollment in May, for a July 1 coverage effective date, or within 30 days of a qualified life event.

    If you decide to get health insurance somewhere else on January 1, be sure to contact the “R”Benefits Service Center within 30 days of acquiring coverage to stop your “R”Us health coverage.
  • If you aren’t eligible for R”Us benefits, look into other options. Find out if:
    • You qualify for Medicaid benefits by contacting Medicaid in your state. State Medicaid contact information can be found at
    • Your parents or spouse/domestic partner can include you on their health insurance plan. Review their plan to see if you qualify.
    • A Health Insurance Marketplace is the best option for you. You can find out more information about the Marketplace (or public exchanges) at, the website sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Call the "R”Benefits Service Center at (844) TRU-BENS. You can call any weekday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., EST.

Rate This Page

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Use our search feature.